Bluetooth Sensor

Have an idea for a project but don't know where/how to start? Ask in here.
Hi Guy's,
I want to build a simple device to sense the position of a valve via a magnet and reed switch or hall effect and send a digital pulse via Bluetooth to a smart phone or tablet. The max pulse frequency would be 50 ms but more often around 100 ms.
I've had a play with the TI CC2650 Sensor Tag which gives me a signal but its too big and chunky with a whole lot of sensors I don't need (i know its only a dev kit). I'm now looking at the DFR Blue Bean (Bluno) which is closer to the mark for prototyping and I can solder on a switch.
http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=light%20blue&product_id=1426#.V4Qio0Z94UE

Any advice is appreciated.
Am I heading down the right path or is there something simpler available?

Thanks
Steveg_Aus

The blue bean is ok. They are good beginner things - Depends on what you want to do. I usually use this for everything - https://www.adafruit.com/product/2479 because you can just connect it to an arduino and anything you send over the arduino serial (Serial.print("h") for instance) will be transmitted via bluetooth.

Bluetooth will transmit byte data - not pules. It's basically like a wireless UART serial (the serial you see on arduino) - So when you sense something with the reed/hall sensor you will then send something to the phone indicating that. It is up to you to write the app on the phone that will interpret what you sent over. So if you sens something and you send the character "h" you would then make an app that looks for the character "h" over bluetooth.

Is this android or iOS? Do you have any phone development experience?

Steveg_Aus wrote:Hi Guy's,
I want to build a simple device to sense the position of a valve via a magnet and reed switch or hall effect and send a digital pulse via Bluetooth to a smart phone or tablet. The max pulse frequency would be 50 ms but more often around 100 ms.
I've had a play with the TI CC2650 Sensor Tag which gives me a signal but its too big and chunky with a whole lot of sensors I don't need (i know its only a dev kit). I'm now looking at the DFR Blue Bean (Bluno) which is closer to the mark for prototyping and I can solder on a switch.
http://www.dfrobot.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=light%20blue&product_id=1426#.V4Qio0Z94UE

Any advice is appreciated.
Am I heading down the right path or is there something simpler available?

Thanks
ameyer
Founder

Hi Ameyer

I'm just starting out. I had done some industrial PLC work in the past but this is new to me.
I have a tutorial using the bean and writing code with xcode (iOS). I have no phone development experience but I understand logic. I can work things out pretty quick once I'm on the right path.

I'll get one of the Adafruit boards too and plug it into my Arduino.

Thanks for your reply.
I might be back with a few more questions later.
Steveg_Aus

Honestly the iOS code will be the hard part. Iv'e done a lot of BT stuff on iOS and it can be very tricky. It isn't as simple as you would hope (since it is meant for professional software development and not hobbyists) so using the bean could be a lot easier. It took me a few straight days to get something working well. Sadly I can't share that code because it is for work.

-Adam

Steveg_Aus wrote:Hi Ameyer

I'm just starting out. I had done some industrial PLC work in the past but this is new to me.
I have a tutorial using the bean and writing code with xcode (iOS). I have no phone development experience but I understand logic. I can work things out pretty quick once I'm on the right path.

I'll get one of the Adafruit boards too and plug it into my Arduino.

Thanks for your reply.
I might be back with a few more questions later.
ameyer
Founder

ameyer wrote:Honestly the iOS code will be the hard part. Iv'e done a lot of BT stuff on iOS and it can be very tricky. It isn't as simple as you would hope (since it is meant for professional software development and not hobbyists) so using the bean could be a lot easier. It took me a few straight days to get something working well. Sadly I can't share that code because it is for work.

-Adam

Discovering what I don't know makes me appreciate a pro's time much more. I'm just exploring a concept. If it looks feasible I will contact a pro to take it to the next level.

Thank you for your input.
Steveg_Aus

Return to Starting out